Leave without Pay (Unpaid Leave)

According to UHAP 8.04.01, employees requesting a leave of absence without pay must submit a letter to their department heads indicating the reason for the leave and the leave schedule. Department heads are to forward their recommendations through the appropriate dean and vice president to the Provost for written approval. The Provost's decision is based on the merit of a request and on certification by the department head and dean involved that the employee's absence will not jeopardize normal operations.

In general, leaves are granted for a maximum period of one year. However, a leave may be renewed, at the discretion of the Provost, if a renewal request is filed 30 days prior to the expiration of the leave. During an approved leave of absence without pay, employees may continue health benefits by paying both the employee and employer premiums for any such benefits, for up to one year for medical-related leaves and up to six months for nonmedical-related leaves. Continuation of coverage after these periods is available through the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA).

Templates for leave requests are available online as follows.

Taking Leave to Teach at Another University
The general rule is that it is not permissible to be employed by more than one institution of higher education. See the memo from the Vice ProvostUHAP 2.06.06ABOR 6-705,  and UA Conflict of Commitment Policy.  Send a copy of the completed Conflict of Commitment form with the request for unpaid leave.