Retiring Faculty Resources

Emeritus Status

Faculty who retire from the University in good standing, have served a minimum of fifteen years, and receive approval from the President are given the title of Emeritus.  Documentation from the department head and dean must be forwarded to the Office of the Provost for review.  The Provost submits the recommendation to the President for final approval. See UHAP 3.1.04 and UHAP 4A.1.01.

Instructions for Requesting Title Change to Emeritus

The following documents should be submitted to the Office of Provost, Attention Faculty Affairs, Administration Building Room 512, P.O. Box 210066. 

  • Faculty member’s current CV
  • Letter of support from the Department Head addressed to the Dean
  • Dean’s endorsement

The request is reviewed by the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs.  Recommendations for emeritus status are forwarded to the Executive Office of the President.  Original emeritus award letters are sent directly to the faculty member and copies are sent to the colleges for processing.  The department must complete the termination/retirement form in UAccess and provide a copy of the emeritus letter to Workforce Systems.

For questions about emeritus requests, please call 626-0202

Retirement Incentives

The Office of the Provost remains committed to supporting departments in faculty transitions to retirement. The departments and colleges are welcome to revise teaching and workloads to enable faculty members to concentrate on their research in the year before retirement. These arrangements are made on a case-by-case basis. We ask that the departments send draft retirement agreements to Marilyn Taylor at for review prior to obtaining signatures.  To discuss the legal and interpersonal dynamics of talking about retirement with colleagues, please contact Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs at 626-0202 or

Other Resources