Retiring Faculty Resources

Emeritus Status

Faculty who retire from the University in good standing, have served a minimum of fifteen years, and receive approval from the President are given the title of Emeritus.  Documentation from the department head and dean must be forwarded to the Office of the Provost for review.  The Provost submits the recommendation to the President for final approval. See UHAP 3.1.04 and UHAP 4A.1.01.

Instructions for Requesting Title Change to Emeritus

The following documents should be submitted to the Office of Provost, Attention Faculty Affairs, Administration Building Room 512, P.O. Box 210066. 

  • Faculty member’s current CV
  • Letter of support from the Department Head addressed to the Dean
  • Dean’s endorsement

The request is reviewed by the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs.  Recommendations for emeritus status are forwarded to the Executive Office of the President.  Original emeritus award letters are sent directly to the faculty member and copies are sent to the colleges for processing.  The department must complete the termination/retirement form in UAccess and provide a copy of the emeritus letter to Workforce Systems.

For questions about emeritus requests, please call 626-0202

Retirement Incentives

Funding is available to provide incentives to faculty considering retirement. The Provost has renewed the university’s commitment to help support departments in transitioning faculty into retirement. Funding is available to revise teaching loads to enable faculty members to concentrate on their research in the year before they retire. These arrangements are made on a case by case basis. To discuss the legal and interpersonal dynamics of talking about retirement with colleagues, please contact Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs at 626-0202 or

Other Resources