Guidance for Consulting or Employment at Other Postsecondary Institutions

Outside Commitments at postsecondary institutions raise important questions related to time and energy allocation, University resource allocation, intellectual property protection, and potential for conflicts of interest. As such, full-time (0.50 FTE or greater) University Employees may not be simultaneously employed as faculty members, professional staff, or administrators at any other post-secondary institution. As noted in the Consulting or Other Outside Employment Policy, such employment is regarded as a prima facie conflict of interest. Below is guidance that will help you navigate these concerns.

  1. All full-time University Employees must have an approved Conflict of Commitment (COC) Form prior to engaging in any Outside Commitment, including employment at another postsecondary institution, consultantships, and research collaborations.
  2. “It is permissible for members of the faculty on sabbatical leave to supplement their compensation from the university to cover such special expenses resulting from the approved sabbatical leave program, through fellowships, scholarships, employment, or grants-in-aid. Such special expenses referred to might include such items as travel, secretarial assistants, tuition, research, and publication. Additional compensation expected is to be fully explained on the application form and approved before the leave is granted. Should opportunities for supplemental compensation develop after the sabbatical leave has begun or after the application form has been submitted and approved, such opportunities must be cleared with the university at the earliest opportunity.”  See ABOR 6-207(F).
  3. Simultaneously employed as a faculty member, professional staff, or administrator at another postsecondary institution means having institutional responsibilities at both UArizona and another post-secondary institution at the same time. Simultaneously employed as a faculty member, professional staff, or administrator at another postsecondary institution does not mean speaking engagements or paid presentations. Examples of institutional responsibilities are teaching, administrative duties, clinical activities, Conducting Research (sponsored or unsponsored), service on University committees, professional participation on panels and review boards, and creation and presentation of scholarly work, regardless of when and where the activities occur.
  4. University Employees may request unpaid extended leave to be employed as faculty members, professional staff, or administrators at another postsecondary institution.  See HR’s Approved Personal Leave and Approved Extended Leave webpages.
  5. Brief consultantships and collaborative research with other postsecondary institutions or employees may be permitted but require an approved COC Form. Generally, brief consultantships and collaborative research are less than 1 year in duration. Longer research collaborations should be pursuant to a fully executed written agreement between UArizona and the external entity.
  6. If your Outside Commitment involves UArizona’s sponsored research, you must notify Sponsored Projects Services and Office Research Contracts (
  7. University Assets cannot be used to the benefit of the other institution.  Examples of University Assets include, but are not limited to University name, money (including research funding), proprietary information, supplies, domain, laptops, computers, printers, and lab equipment.  For information on University Assets, visit the Misuse of University Assets Policy.
  8. University compensated time cannot be used for efforts to the benefit of other institutions.
  9. Unpublished research and data that may lead to patentable inventions, copyright-protected materials, information or products, and access to or use of intellectual property in which ABOR claims an ownership interest under ABOR Intellectual Property Policy No. 6-908, may not be provided to outside entities and individuals without first obtaining a University license agreement, nondisclosure agreement, material transfer agreement or other appropriate contract authorizing such access and use, signed by a duly authorized signatory on behalf of the University. 
    *Once unpublished research and data are shared, patent protection rights may be lost. Prior to public presentations, Investigators should contact Tech Launch Arizona to discuss potential protection (patent or otherwise).

For questions about this guidance, contact:

Faculty Affairs
Office of the Provost 

For questions on the Conflict of Commitment (COC) Form, contact:

Office for Responsible Outside Interests
(520) 626-6406